# Important points in Geography to be memorized before Entrance Exams (Written by NM Mishra on the behalf of Brilliant Academy of Learning Pvt Ltd on 10/05/2020#
1. .One degree Latitude is nearly 111 Km.
2. One degree Longitude is equal to 4 minutes.
3.Most of Iron deposits in India are found in Dharwar Rocks.
4. Ring of Fire refers to Circum Pacific Seismic Belt.
5. Andaman and Nicobar is called Black Water.
6.Gulf of Mannar and Palk Strait separates India and Sri Lanka.
7. Regur refers to Black Soil. Black Soil is very good for production of Cotton.
8. Andamans is a group of 204 islands and are extensions of Mountain System of North East India. The largest Island is Middle Andaman. Saddle Peak in North Andaman is the highest peak. Port Blair is located on South Andaman. Cellular Jail is in Port Blair.
9. The Nicobars is a group of 19 islands of which the largest is Great Nicobar. Most of them are volcanic in nature.
10. Ten degree channel separates Little Andaman from Car Nicobar.
11. Duncan Passage lies between south Andaman and Little Andaman.
12. Nine degree Channel separates Kavaratti from Minicoy Islands.
13. Eight degree channel separates Minicoy island (India) from Maldives.
14.Brahmaputra river rises from Chemayungdung glacier in Tibet.
15. Longest day (Summer Solstice) in Northern Hemisphere is 21 June and shortest day(Winter Solstice) in Northern Hemisphere is 22 December.
16.Earth's average orbital velocity is 29.79 km/s.
17.Elements in Earth's crust are in this order: Oxygen>Silicon>Aluminium>Iron>Calcium
18. Largest and Heaviest planet - Jupiter
19. Smallest Planet - Mercury
20. Planet nearest to sun - Mercury
21.Brightest star after Sun - Sirius
22. Coldest and Farthest planet - Neptune
23. Hottest and Brightest planet - Venus
24.Planet nearest to Earth - Venus
25. Blue planet - Earth
26. Red planet - Mars
27. Planet with maximum number of satellites - Jupiter
28. Study of Lakes is called Limnology.
29. The place of origin of Earthquake is called Focus.
30. Zero degree Longitude (Prime Meridian) crosses through Greenwhich ,London (Great Britain). International Standard Time is calculated through this line.
31. 180 Degree East Longitude (International Date Line) has been intentionally crossed through Pacific Ocean. It is a Zig- Zag line. Dates are calculated through this line.
32. Tropic of cancer is 23 and half north latitude. It crosses India through Gujarat, Rajasthan, MP, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand,West Bengal, Tripura and Mizoram.
33. Indian Standard Time is calculated through 82 and half East Longitude. It crosses through Allahabad/Mirzapur/Naini. It crosses through 5 Indian States. Those are UP,MP, Chattisgarh, Odisha Andhra Pradesh.